Sunday 17 June 2012

Go and see something live you've never seen before.

In early May I went to Brussels to see the Women's Artistic Gymnastics' European Championships.  I had tickets for the qualifications, and both the team and apparatus finals.  I have only been following gymnastics seriously for about a year, and I learned more about the sport over the three days than I have from all of the blog posts, videos and articles. 

I wasn't sure how I was going to find three days devoted to gymnastics, but I was utterly gripped.  The qualifications were so busy it was hard not to miss something.  The team finals were edge of seat at times, but the apparatus finals were probably my favourite.  The whole stadium was focussed on one place, and the atmosphere was alive with tension and support.  It was very exciting, and I shall definitely be doing it again.

Most of my photos were blurred, but by the third day I was a little better at keeping the background steady.  I think the movement of the gymnasts is captured well (this is my excuse and I am sticking to it)...



Larissa Iordache on beam...


...Catalina Ponar on beam...


...and Hannah Whelan on floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment